Thread: qemu Shared Folder

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

qemu Shared Folder

I am trying to share a folder on my ubuntu 22.04 host and a folder on my ubuntu 22.04 qemu vm. On my host I have created /home/dad/vmhost and on the vm created /home/dad/hostshare

I have been following various gui (youtube) and text instructions. I get to the point on the vm where I type:

sudo mount -t 9p -o trans=virtio /sharepoint hostshare

when I enter that command I get:

mount: /home/dad/hostshare: bad option; for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program.

Any advice appreciated.

Beans

Re: qemu Shared Folder

No advice on mounting, but you could just connect to the host with ssh, access a folder there, and copy or past files. That's how I share files between a vm and host.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Here's how I've been doing it for some time now.
    https://www.debugpoint.com/share-folder-virt-manager/

You need to do all the setting up as shown in that webpage and it should then work faultlessly for you as it does for me.
    I haven't bothered with mounting the folder in the VM's /etc/fstab file but simply mount it when I need it then unmount when I've finished using it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I haven't bothered with mounting the folder in the VM's /etc/fstab file but simply mount it when I need it then unmount when I've finished using it.
    +1
    easy peasy, and goes with my K.I.S.S habits.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

-1 :
    Why?

virtiofs is still broken: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...u/+bug/2033957

They came up with a patch, tested, works, and built the fixed package... but it is still in Proposed. So, at least for "now", you won't get it unless you enable the Proposed Repo.

I do NFS network shares between my hosts and VM's.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 24th, 2023 at 05:58 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

My version of virtiofs is obviously not broken, and I can confirm that I am using all the packages from the default jammy repos with no proposed repos enabled. I wonder what I am doing differently that gives me this success where others are having problems.

I set everything up exactly as shown in that link in my last post #3 and it has never let me down so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

+1 with ajgreeny and this tutorial https://www.debugpoint.com/share-folder-virt-manager/

Ubuntu 22.04 host
    Ubuntu 23.04 guest

Using qemu-system-x86:amd64 1:6.2+dfsg-2ubuntu6.12 1:6.2+dfsg-2ubuntu6.13

However, the bug report is dated 02 September 2023 and the package above was upgraded on my system on 06 September 2023

I first tried this sharing method a few months ago and never experienced any problem
    Last edited by tea for one; September 24th, 2023 at 03:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Yep no problems here as well, even with:
    Code:
    apt policy virtiofsd
    virtiofsd:
      Installed: 1.7.0-3
      Candidate: 1.7.0-3
      Version table:
     *** 1.7.0-3 500
            500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu mantic/universe amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I am still mounting the shared virtiofs I have setup in my Ubuntu VMs using a manual mount command
    Code:
    sudo mount -t virtiofs Host /Host
    with /Host as the mountpoint and my shared virtiofs named Host.
    I said in my previous post #3 that I have not bothered using fstab to mount the virtiofs but I have decided to now try doing so.
    Can anyone tell me the required line in /etc/fstab to do this as all I've tried has failed in spite of searching everywhere I can think of.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just in case anyone sees my query about using fstab in post #9 and prefers to add the mount at boot, here is the needed entry for /etc/fstab
    Code:
    Host /Host virtiofs defaults 0 0
    this again with my shared virtiofs named Host and /Host as the mountpoint of my shared virtiofs.