Thread: How can I receive a notification when there's a reply to my post?

Beans

How can I receive a notification when there's a reply to my post?

Hello, I've noticed with ubuntuforums.org that the default has not set me to receive email notifications when someone responds to my posts.
    I've checked my account Settings -> General Settings -> Messaging & Notification -> Default Thread Subscription Mode -> I changed from Do not subscribe, to Instantly, using email -> Save Changes.

I'm not clear whether this will fix the issue?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How can I receive a notification when there's a reply to my post?

Quote Originally Posted by kotgc View Post
    Hello, I've noticed with ubuntuforums.org that the default has not set me to receive email notifications when someone responds to my posts.
    I've checked my account Settings -> General Settings -> Messaging & Notification -> Default Thread Subscription Mode -> I changed from Do not subscribe, to Instantly, using email -> Save Changes.

I'm not clear whether this will fix the issue?
    Emails aren't instant most of the time. Sometimes they never come. Sometimes they come 12 hrs later. Sometimes they arrive in 5 minutes. It has been an issue at least 10 yrs.

I suspect there is a delay in sending emails to give the forum staff a chance to remove any spam posts in a thread. The amount of spam posting is huge, so the fact that we don't usually see it is a credit to all the moderators.

If you click on the "Settings", there will be a list of subscribed threads there with new posts. This bypasses the email notification delays.
    I tried to find a way to unsubscribe from old threads as a way to help reduce the load on the forum system. Never found a good way to do it. Now I just unsubscribe manually when the thread appears to be closed/answered. After 6 months, many threads are closed and locked by the moderators. Sometimes it happens when spam posts start showing.