Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Error while copying file (Error splicing file: Input/output error)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Error while copying file (Error splicing file: Input/output error)

Any yet another one with the same problem.

HOWEVER...I noticed that the problem will minimize by using console and not PCManFM. It might even be a bug in one (or several) file managers, which apparently do something questionable in accessing the file(s) from time to time.

I had this problem a dozen times when copying stuff from NTFS to ext4 with a certain ST drive. Although it might be that this drive has at least a knack (albeit a neglectable one), there were never any kinds of these errors (Error splicing file: Read-only file system) when copying on console.
    And that PCManFM respectively libmanfm is buggy in many ways, is an open secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambol View Post
    In desperation, I stumbled into the Ubuntu Disk Utility and clicked on «Check Filesystem», which solved the problem in 30s. Now I can cp/mv files back and forth from my external without any error.
    Heh - that almost sounds like voodoo magic.
    Since even though I don't know about this utility's inner workings, I would bet my life on it that "Check Filesystem" is nothing but a frontend, simply performing a fsck under the hood.
    Last edited by syntaxerror74; June 7th, 2014 at 08:29 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by syntaxerror74 View Post
    Since even though I don't know about this utility's inner workings, I would bet my life on it that "Check Filesystem" is nothing but a frontend, simply performing a fsck under the hood.

This little fsck / chkdsk util is your friend. Solving *almost* all Problems concerning "Error 5" messages.

I analysed the problem a wee bit more. Here my results:

a) the problem can occur having a CD / DVD with scratches or fingerprints on it
    b) the problem can occur by trying to copy files which are already corrupt due to a damaged media underneath. (This can be a usb stick, micro sd-card or similar)
    c) the problem can occur due to a corrup filesystem.
    d) the problem can occur due to forbidden characters in the filename => ":" ">" "/" "\" and others.

Test: The problem occurs on other operating systems as well

Symptoms/Reasons:

1) The filename is corrupt. (the name is composed of funny characters) (Bad Sign)
    2) The file type icon has changed. Songs do not any more have a "song-typical" icon but a for example text icon. (Bad Sign)
    3) The file-size has changed. (much smaller than the oiginal one) (Source = Bad Sign / target = keep on copying)
    4) The file size is 0 (Source = Bad Sign / target = keep on copying)
    5) The cd / DVD is scratched (cleaning)
    6) The SD Card / USB Stick is damaged (fell down, became too hot, washing mashine ... ) (repair??? / bin)

Workarounds:

1) Try to keep on copying the file over an over again. If you check the filesize while copying I noticed that sometimes the copying goes on and finishes in the end. (after the 10th try) But this does *not* mean that the file is healthy. Chances are 50:50. But chances not too bad if the type icon is still correct.

=> there is a good tool that might jump in handy: "unstoppable file copier"
    http://www.roadkil.net/program.php/P...pable%20Copier

2) Try cleaning the cd with dishwashing liquid and a clean soft cotton wool towel.

3) Rename the file. (without special characters)

4) Copy the files one by one. Sounds funny but this seemed to work sometimes better than copying complete folders.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by peter-ludwig; April 11th, 2015 at 04:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Old thread closed.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910